This collection contains the annual reports of the School of Mining Engineering.
The Department of Mining Engineering dates back to the formation of the university itself on 1 July 1949. When the first three university faculties were established by Council on 8 May 1950, Mining Engineering became one of the initial four departments within the Faculty of Engineering. On 10 September 1951 Council changed the designation of all departments to schools and so the School of Mining Engineering came into existence. In late 1951 the geology section was absorbed into the school and so it came to be known as the School of Mining Engineering & Applied Geology. In 1956 the school was moved to the Faculty of Technology, which was renamed the Faculty of Applied Science from 1960.
On 9 September 1963 the name of the School of Mining Engineering & Applied Geology reverted to the School of Mining Engineering. From 1 January 1986 the school became the Department of Mining Engineering within the School of Mineral Resources. On 1 December 1997 the Department of Mining Engineering became the School of Mining Engineering again and was moved to the Faculty of Engineering.
From 1 May 2018 the School of Mining Engineering was merged with the School of Petroleum Engineering to form a new School of Minerals and Energy Resources Engineering and the School of Mining Engineering ceased to exist from this time.
Contact the University Archives
Please contact the University Archives for further information on other material held on the School of Mining Engineering, including earlier hard copy School annual reports that have not been digitised.
Digital Collections | Library (8th May 2025). School of Mining Engineering Annual Reports. In Website Digital Collections | Library. Retrieved 26th Aug 2026 15:58, from https://digitalcollections.library.unsw.edu.au/nodes/view/217021